Tuesday, October 15, 2013

bringing the holiday

Well I've brought the holiday as they say. Well they being the kid. I was in the city a few weeks ago with the kid, helping him finish an assignment in Coffee Bean. We were in a cheerful mood that Friday and decided to go to the city. Before I explain this is something I hate, do you dear readers have any idea who many essays, homework, and workbooks I have done for international students ugh too many. I'm tried of doing everyone's assignments. You are here in my country to study not party and I over indulge you. Anyway the kid chooses a new lounge he heard of and we head over.

I'm a bit leery because he has a fake ID. Thankfully it's accepted most places so after getting in we head to the bar and grab some drinks. I like this lounge but it gets crowded and we wander to the out door patio. A few cocktails in we are both buzzed and jovial, sprawled out on a couch in the corner by a heating lamp. I vaguely recognize a guy I thought I had seen before, but I wasn't sure as I had forgotte my contacts and I was tipsy. We lost our place on the couch after getting more drinks so we moved to a large table. The kid expresses a desire to smoke but has no cigarettes on him and asks the guy a few seats down from me. I realize it's the same guy I thought I recognized, he passes the young one two cigarettes and he hands me one. I glanced at this guy and he asks if I remember him. Now I had only seen him a few times in passing never for more than 10 minute. I had a different hair color. I was a different person than. I'm surprised he recognized me.

I decide to play dumb since I'm in no mood to be tormented but he persists sliding into the empty seat next to me much to my dismay. He mentions my ex's cousin's name trying to wound me. I admit I know remember him and say his name in hopes that he'll shut up. He prattles on about his school and makes small talk with the kid. The kid tries to be polite and asks which school he goes to and he says with a smirk directed at me. "Oh you know in the one in the valley the same as "him" I nod. He gleefully admits he's being mean. I agree with a shrug and he asks my name I tell him it doesn't matter. The kid chimes in that I have many names. I wince internally and that comment only makes everything look worse. I can't stand another minute of this so I rudely interrupt him with his nickname "dirty" and he is. He finally takes the hint and leaves and wishes us a goodnight.

I tearfully explain his behavior to the kid and he kissed me. Good let them talk, should I cry at home forever. That following evening I receive a message on tango from my ex, funny six months and no word. It's a link to a Lil Wayne featuring my favorite artist The Weeknd. The song is about being a hedonist and a repeating line is  "I'm good". I know I should have just let it go, but I couldn't. I reply hours later with a link of my own to the mournful rap ballad Blood on the Leaves, about failed love and betrayal. I know this will now get messy and they will not stop until the kid and I are over. I don't care anymore about any of them. This is my home, my country, my game. I destroy me. Not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment